Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves 10 or more
1 to 2 bunches kale
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. To wash greens, fill a large stainless bowl with cold water and submerge the greens, leafy side down. Add a pinch of sea salt to the water if there are any green-gray aphids. Use tongs to transfer soaking greens from the bowl to a colander. Check for any dirt or sand in the bowl. If there’s a lot, then empty the bowl, rinse and wash greens again.
3. Remove kale from stalk. Use one hand to hold the stalk of an individual leaf, rib side up. Use the other hand to strip the leaf off the stalk with one quick motion. Tear the greens into large or medium-sized pieces (whatever you prefer). Discard stems or save for stock.
4. Place a little olive oil and sea salt in a bowl, dip your fingers and rub a very light coat of oil over kale.
5. Put kale on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until it starts to turn a bit brown. Keep an eye on it as it can burn quickly.
6. Turn the kale over and bake with the other side up for about 5 minutes. Remove and eat immediately (does not keep well).
Adapted from Integrative Nutrition, by Joshua Rosenthal